Here you can find useful info, videos, literature, and the like! It’ll also have some prompts/inspiration to help you get an idea of what you’d like to work on over the course of the hackathon!
We are in an unprecedented situation at the moment. The COVID-19 crisis is posing tough problems to vast swathes of our society. This is where you come in.
Unprecedented situations call for unprecedented answers - and Hack Quarantine is just that! With thousands of you coming together to do research into, or build solutions towards the problems that COVID-19 has brought, we can work collaboratively to make a difference, and try to do our part in these troubling times. And don’t get us wrong - this is no ordinary hackathon - you’re free to work on almost anything (be that science, maths, or tech) within our four overarching themes. Not only are the whole team here to help you with this - your fellow participants will be there for you along the way.
- Tom and Avery (Science Team)
Now we’re going to provide some literature, videos, data sources, and inspiration for your hack. We’ll do our best to keep y’all up to date over the coming weeks too!
- WHO Global Research on COVID-19 Resources (points to many others)
- COVID-19 Open Research Data Set
- Oxford Mathematician explains SIR disease model for COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
- Exponential growth and epidemics
- COVID-19 API
- CORD-19 Research Challenge
- COVID-19 Data Repository (GitHub)
- COVID-19 Data Resources (Tableau)
Struggling for what to do or make? We’ve got your back!
Keep reading for some ideas that might just get you started!
- One of the key factors to stopping COVID-19 will be the behaviour of the general public. Could you analyse this behaviour, or build something to change it for the better? People be dumb make them less dumb
- Is the behaviour of the general public linked to their overall understanding of COVID-19 and how it spreads?
- How can we inform the general public of correct information without spreading panic?
- Fake news is increasingly present on social media - can you help people tell it apart from the facts?
- Communication and collaboration are incredibly challenging now. Could you build something to improve this? This could be for those having to self-isolate, those working from home, or others!
- Communities are pulling together at the moment to support those having to self-isolate due to COVID-19 - can you build something to help these people organise themselves, or deliver essentials to those in need?
- With the shutting of gyms, and increasing need for social distancing, exercise has become much harder. Can you leverage existing fitness platforms to help people maintain a healthy routine?
- Technology is vital in this current climate, how can we support those who aren’t familiar with it? How can we help people without access to all technology?
- In this time of isolation, looking after your mental health is important. Can you help people keep their minds healthy whilst adjusting to a great change in the world, and a time of high anxiety?
- With constant streams of information about COVID-19, many people are struggling to keep up with the information, or aren’t able to think about much else. Can you help people get the information they need, or shut it out when they don’t?